After decades of unsuccessful attempts to gain access to oil beneath the pristine coastal lowlands, Alaska’s Republican congressional delegation past this week began yet another effort to open a region experts say may hold one of the nation’s largest reserves of oil and natural gas.
Critics say public information film shows Shell ‘understood the threat was dire, potentially existential for civilisation, more than a quarter of a century ago’
Under the waves of Haro Strait, hydrophones record the noise made by passing vessels and, if you happen to be a whale, the din is already disorienting and disturbing, making it difficult to echo-locate food or communicate with other members of the pod. “It’s a thunder. Thump, thump, thump, accompanied by squeals and engine noise. It’s…
EA News Comment: While on the surface this discovery seems like good news in terms of US energy supply, it represents a huge environmental and health risk if developed.
- This type of shale formation requires extensive fracking to extract the subsurface petroleum.
- The practice of fracking, other than being expensive for the petroleum developers, is a risky and destructive practice.
- Hazardous fracking fluids returned to the surface are a threat to the health of the local ecosystem and to humans.
- Fracking causese structural damage to subsurface rock formations, resulting in increased earthquake activity.
- If a significant fraction of the projected 20 billion barrels of oil are produced and used as fuel, the release of associated greenhouse gasses will further exacerbate the climate change disaster we are currently experiencing.
Now that Donald Trump is officially on his way to being the next president of the United States, he must decide how to fill his cabinet. According to reports, former Alaska governor and vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is a top contender for secretary of the interior. Trump mentioned he would like to appoint Palin to…